September 2, 2017
Historic England (HE) has published advice on what it needs to know in order to assess a proposal to install telecommunications equipment in a listed place of worship. HE is the statutory adviser to local authorities and the five listed denominations in accordance with the Town & Country Planning Act 1990 and the Ecclesiastical Exemption Order 2010. Therefore, if an installation will make changes to historic fabric that could affect the character or significance of a listed building, HE must be consulted – whether a congregation is seeking permission through its denominational advisory body or through the local authority.
The advice covers:
- The information that Historic England requires in order to offer relevant advice.
- Issues that will be of particular concern.
- The impact of the installation on the outside of the building.
- The impacts of the installation inside the building.
- Access to the equipment and the rest of the building.
- Safety issues.
- Possible archaeological implications.