This page provides a set of links to useful materials on the law of baptism in the Church of England.
Whereas it is hoped that these links will be of assistance to those applying the law in this area, each case has its own specific set of facts and so where ambiguities or uncertainties exist it is suggested that assistance may be sought from the relevant Diocesan Registrar. Contact details for your Diocesan Registrar can be found at http://www.diocesanregistry.co.uk.
- Canons B21-25 – the main canons covering baptism
- Canon B28 – Of reception into the Church of England
Legal Opinions of the Legal Advisory Commission of the Church of England
- Baptism (Part 13) including change of baptismal name, consent of parent, the presence of godparents at baptism, and the removal and replacement of godparents
- Baptism of Children: Parental Responsibility and Same sex couples
- Baptism: consent of parent
- Parish music: organists and choirmasters and church musicians
Books and Commentary
- Hill, M. Ecclesiastical Law 4thedition(Oxford, 2018) 5.11-5.14.
- Baptism, Canon Law and the Church from the Law & Religion UK blog – baptism of children from families who do not regularly attend church
- Archdeacon of Cheltenham v Bland (1972) 1 All England Reports 1012 (minister’s refusal to baptize)
- Re Holy Trinity Wandsworth  15 Ecc LJ 125 Southwark Cons Ct (number and location of fonts)
- Re St. Peter Shipton Bellinger  Winchester Const Ct (disposal of unwanted fonts)